Adapted Ericksonian Hypnotherapy & Solution Focus Plus
This programme will grow as we go along and training in different techniques, which will contribute to Solution Focus Plus, will be added. The training I offer will tend to suit those with backgrounds in solution focus practice, (hence the name solution focus +), however, some aspects will stand-alone and will suit those practising in any field of therapy using any model (more or less).
Feel free to contact me using the ‘contact me’ form link below, if I can add anything I didn’t put in to the mix this time.
Of all the things that Milton H Erickson was, the fact that he was a psychotherapist cannot be ignored. Sure, he was a hypnotherapist and a medical doctor too, however, his ‘…modus operandi transcends clinical hypnotism …’ (Weitzenhoffer, in Rossi, E, Erickson-Klein, R & Rossi, K Eds, 2010 p xi).
If it was helpful to his clients (or patients as he then called them) he would do whatever was called for – so, psychotherapy, hypnotherapy or an admixture of the two. I am a member of the the National Society of Hypnosis & Psychotherapy and it suits some of us who were trained by the National College to move between the two aspects of therapy. In addition I am trained in solution focus practice and have, in turn, been training lots of people in solution focus. And I practice solution focus clinical hypnotherapy.
I’ve decided to call the training ‘Adapted Ericksonian Hypnotherapy’ because there are some aspects of his work which are not useful to solution focus; so I have changed some of his approach to ensure the fluidity and beauty of sf is still there, and that people are comfortable with the two modes of being with clients.
Lots of people, and I’m one of them, think that there is always room to add something to the mix that we offer our clients and whilst some may see this as moving outside of de facto solution focus, I revel in being able to add something to the mix. One reason I’m so pleased to have joined ‘The Collective’ is that I believe it is a way to move a collective view forward, to embrace change in our practice and not to fear change; to be able to say ‘I have no idea if it will work, let’s give it a go shall we?’ As long as no-one is harmed in the change, there is no harm in change.
And let’s face it, neither we, nor our clients, have crystal balls and if they are brave enough to want to move things on, why shouldn’t we see if our moving things on with them might not be helpful?
To this end, I believe that there is a place for using a focused mind state to help clients. Those clients with whom I have use a ‘focused-mind state work’ tell me they have benefited because they tend to be able to ‘see’ the future more clearly.
What Will The Two Day Programme Look Like?
OK? It will offer learners / delegates / students various opportunities to consider and reflect on:-
- …their own journeys towards positive futures in order to grace their clients journeys towards their positive future(s). We are mistaken, I believe, if we only focus on our clients; we need to think about and reflect on how being with our clients impacts on US, as therapists and counsellors.
- …the need for clients to do rather than think about doing and how this might come about, without forcing anyone to do anything they are not comfortable with.
- …the value the client might place on remembering forgotten skills (should they choose to do so).
- …the need for the therapist and client to learn new skills; learning is never a one way street.
- … both parties (or more if doing group work) and how they might unlearn unhelpful skills.
Why all this reflection? Simply put, because anything else feels, to me, to be forced. If we reflect on the value of reflection and walk with our clients, rather than direct them; they are making their own choices.
And as Rob McNeilly has it this helps us (as therapists) to ‘…focus on the client as the source of change, and away from the significance and power of the therapist …’ (McNeilly, undated).
So, the program will be about (in part) reflection AND:
learning about the various parts (new skills sets) that will help clients to focus, usefully upon
- What hypnosis is?
- What hypnosis isn’t!
- What can hypnosis do for the client? How? Why?
- What it can’t do for the client! Why not?
- The clinical relevance of hypnosis. Is there such a thing?
- Learning to bserve, observe, observe! (Erickson)
- Hypnosis and Learning (ours and the client); why?
- Inviting clients to experience hypnosis – (how to begin to do what we are going to do)
- Interaction in hypnosis – is it necessary
- Indirect Communication – what is that…?
- Non-directive help, which is what?
- Creating Alternatives – How? Why?
- Saying Nothing – the blessings silence brings ….
- How do we begin to do this thing? Why ask that now and not earlier?
- The Place of Stories / Metaphors in Hypnosis. Without which there is no hypnosis.
I’m grateful to Rob McNeilly for allowing me to borrow from some of his material.
Potential delegates for this course need to understand that I have planned the course over a full weekend, if students would like a follow-up day, this can be arranged during the weekend. An alternative is to follow-up using something like the app called zoom (c) or Skype..
The list of areas we need to cover (above) and the opportunity for you to practice newly developed skills is crucial and the two days are useful for this and, as I’ve said above, if you, the students, feel a follow-up day is required, this can be arranged.
I have to think of you and your learning AND I have to think of the clients you might have in the future and you will need to show me that you can do what we set out to do. It’s properly solution focused this learning of sf+
There is no denying that the course will be hard work, and, whilst I promise you it will not be all work, you will be learning from the outset.
I guess you wouldn’t have it any other way.
There is some legal stuff in all this and I will ask you to sign a form saying that you agree to participate fully, in all aspects of this training. I do carry substantial third party insurance for training and I am properly, clinically supervised; both in solution focus and hypnotherapy.
Programme for 2018 complete, 2019 dates will be added soon:
Thank you Unsplash and the various photographers for the use of their photos.